Follow these steps to import records: Step 1: Go to the Import screen
Step 2: Select a file to import
- Log in to your CRM account.
- Click the Main Menu.
- Go to Tools.
- Select Import.
- Click +New Import.
- Enter a title for the import process.
- Select the module into which you want to import files.
- Select the format of the file you want to import and the Header.
- Note: Headers are column names in your local file. They make mapping column values to CRM fields easy.
- Choose a Character Encoding type.
- Note: Make sure the Character Encoding matches that selected in the local file you’re importing.
- Choose a delimiter.
- Note: Delimiter is the character that separates fields in your local file. The CRM identifies different fields with the help of the delimiter.
- Click Choose file to browse through your computer.
Note: Vtiger CRM supports .csv, .vcf, and .ics file types for importing.
- CSV (Comma-Separated Values) files are used to import records into any CRM module.
- VCF (Virtual Contact File) are used to import only Contacts.
- ICS (iCalendar File) are used to import only Calendar data such as Events and Tasks.
Step 3: Set up field mapping
- Select a file and click Open.
- Click Next.
Use this step to map fields in your local file to the fields in Vtiger CRM. Fields that have the same names in the local file and CRM are mapped automatically.
- Map Column Name in your local file to a CRM Field in the CRM.
- Provide a Default Value for fields.
Note: Default values are used when the value of a field is empty. In such cases, Vtiger CRM picks up the default value.
Step 4: Set up Duplicate Handling
- Click Next.
What will you do if a record that you are importing is already present in the CRM? Vtiger’s Duplicate Handling feature will sort it out for you. You can begin by checking if there are duplicate records.
- Check Duplicates
- Select Check Duplicates if you want to check for duplicate records while importing.
- Select the field name that will decide whether a record is a duplicate.
- Select Add New Records if you want to create new or unique records in the CRM. If there are duplicate records in your local file, they will not be imported.
- Select Add New Records and Update Existing Records if you want to create new or unique records in the CRM. If there are duplicate records in your local file, then the CRM records will be updated with the field values specified in the duplicate records.
- Don’t Check Duplicates
- Create new records in the CRM without checking for duplicates.
- Click Next.
- Review the field mapping by looking at the Preview Import window. The preview shows only a maximum of three records.
- Click Start Import.