SHORT MESSAGE PEER-PEER(SMPP) in the telecommunications industry is an open, industry standard protocol designed to provide a flexible data communication interface for the transfer of short message data between External Short Messaging Entities (ESME), Routing Entities (RE) and Message Centres.
SMPP is designed to be fast and efficient to facilitate high volume reliable message exchange. It is suitable for Non-GSM Protocols, enables delivery reports and establishes synchronous and asynchronous message exchange.
Now, you can connect to more SMS providers via SMPP interface in Vtiger. To configure SMPP Gateway in vtiger, you’ll need to register to any of the SMPP Service Providers and activate your account.
For example: Plivo provides SMPP Service.
Note! SMPP is supported with version V3.4 SMPP server provider.
SMPP providers act as connectors which route the message to its destination. You are supposed to request your provider to get access to SMPP Interface.
Here’s how to configure your Clickatell gateway in Vtiger CRM.
Click New Configuration from right and configure following details in the popup that appears.
- TON, NPI and Address Range are the parameters relate to the sender address for messages that are submitted by the client.
- The Type of Number (TON) setting is used to indicate your ESME (External Short Messaging Entity)the format of the addressing (bind addressing) that will be processed for inbound messages for submits.
- The Numbering Plan Identification setting is used to indicate your ESME the numbering plan associated with your messaging.
- Address Range is to specify a set of SME address serviced by the ESME client.
- Bind Type:
- Transmitter Mode: It is capable of submitting messages, but it is not able to receive any short messages.
- Transceiver Mode: It is similar to have a transmitter and receiver connection over the same network link and allows both submitting and receiving the messages.
Click save after the configuration.
1. It is not necessary that every SMPP provider should provide TON, NPI and Address range values.
2. Ensure that the phone number to which you intend to send out an SMS is in International E.164 format.
3. Currently, SMPP supports only English text messages, the messages sent in other languages are not encoded and appear as ? (Question Mark).
4. You can use SMPP gateway and configure SMS Country provider to send out bulk messages.