We have divided the entire process into four steps for better understanding. Follow these steps:
Step 1: Accessing the Dependent Fields and Blocks screen
This is the primary step in using which you can go to the Dependent Fields and Blocks screen.
- Log in to your CRM account.
- Click the User Menu on the top right corner of the screen.
- Click Settings.
- Go to Module Management.
- Click Module Layouts & Fields.
- Select the module for which you want to configure dependent fields.
- Click the Dependent Fields/Block tab.
Step 2: Adding a new dependency
You can add both block dependency
and field dependency
If you choose a block dependency, you can add multiple child field dependencies under it. You cannot do the same for a field dependency.
- Click the +New Dependency button.
- Click the drop-down under the Dependent Fields/Block column.
- Select a block or field.
- If you wish to add a child field dependency under a block, click +New Field Dependency.
Step 3: Setting the access rules
Once you decide on the dependent blocks and fields, you must specify the user’s action on the field.
- Click the drop-down under the Access column.
- Choose the access rule. For block dependencies, the default and only option is Show, where we show the block. For field dependencies, you can choose among the following options:
- Show (Read + Write) - Show the field with a read and write access.
- Show (Read + Write & Mandatory) - Show the field and make it mandatory with read and write access.
- Mandatory - Make the field mandatory.
- Show (Read only) - Show the field with only read access.
- If you wish to add another action for the same dependency, click +New Action and repeat steps 12 and 13.
- Fields that are defined as mandatory at the module level (in Detail View Layout) are not affected by the access rules set in Dependent Fields and Blocks. This applies only to Show (Read + Write & Mandatory) and Mandatory access rules.
Step 4: Specifying the conditions
Once you add the access rules, you must mention the trigger field and its value. The trigger is a condition that must be satisfied for the dependent fields/blocks to be shown.
- Click the field drop-down under the Condition column.
- Select a field. Only picklists and checkboxes fields will appear here.
- Click the operator drop-down.
- Select either equals or Not Equals.
- Enter the picklist value in the text field.
- Click Save to save the dependency.
- If you wish to add another condition for the same dependency, click +Add Condition and repeat steps 14-18.
- You can delete a condition by clicking the Delete icon next to the condition.
To know more about Dependent Fields and Blocks, click here