Vtiger’s integration creates automatic 2-way sync of data between the CRM and Quickbooks every time a record is updated or created.
QuickBooks is accounting software for small and medium-sized businesses. It comes in both on-premise and cloud-based versions. QuickBooks covers a wide range of accounting functions such as:
- Track expenses
- Manage payroll
- Generate reports
Let's get started!
So what do you do first? Well, you need to have the following downloaded and installed before you can start syncing Vtiger CRM with QuickBooks (Desktop Version).
- Install the Quickbooks Desktop Software
- Install the Quickbooks Web Connector app and download the .QWC file from Vtiger
- Install Vtiger CRM On-Demand
Quickbooks Desktop Software
Follow these steps to download the QuickBooks installation file to your desktop:
- Sign in to your Intuit account with the email address you used to purchase QuickBooks Desktop.
- Select QuickBooks Desktop under Manage your QuickBooks.
- Find the version you need.
- Select Details to see your license number, product number, and the download link.
- Select Download to get the install file.
QuickBooks Web Connector
QuickBooks Web Connector helps in syncing data from QuickBooks to Vtiger and vice versa.
You need to first install the QWC app and match the file location. Only then you will be able to add the organization (your company name) in QuickBooks.
Download and Install the QuickBooks Web Connector App (Installer)
The Quickbooks Web Connector app exchanges data between QuickBooks and Vtiger CRM.
Follow these steps to install the Web Connector:
- Download the Connector from here
- The .exe file will be in your Downloads folder
- Double-click and run the .exe file to install the Web Connector
- Locate the Quickbooks Web Connector in your local computer
- Click Start
- Click All Programs
- Click QuickBooks
- Click Web Connector
Download QuickBooks Web Connector File (.QWC)
The .QWC file helps you to establish a connection between your QuickBooks account and your Vtiger CRM account.
Follow these steps to download the .QWC file from Vtiger CRM:
- Log in to your CRM account
- Click the User Menu on the top right corner of the CRM screen
- Click Settings
- Go to the Extensions section
- Click QuickBooks
- Choose the Quickbooks edition you are using from the dropdown - Quickbooks Desktop Edition
- Click the Proceed button
- Read the pre-requisites and click Next
- To download the .QWC file, add the following information in the Download .QWC File window:
- Vtiger User Name - Enter your Vtiger user name
- Secret Key - Add the desired secret key in the Choose your secret key window
- Note: Remember this key as you have to enter this information in the QuickBooks Web Connector
- Full Company Path - Provide the full path of your QuickBooks Company File. Here's where QuickBooks normally saves company files
- For normal QuickBooks installations, the default path is mentioned in the above link. For example:
- Default path in XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users(Shared) Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\Vtiger Inc.qbw
- Default path in Windows Vista and Windows 7: C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\Vtiger Inc.qbw
The company path should end with .qbw extension.
If your QuickBooks Desktop software is installed in the server machine, then you can get the company path by hitting the F2 button once the software is open on your machine. This displays a pop-up window with the company information on the company path.
- Click Download QWC file.
You’ll be prompted to save the .QWC file in the desired location in your machine.
After the save, you’ll be redirected to the actual QuickBooks sync view in Vtiger CRM.
Adding the .QWC file to QuickBooks Web Connector
After successfully downloading the .QWC file from Vtiger, you’ll need to add it to QuickBooks Web Connector. Follow these steps to add the .QWC file to QuickBooks Web Connector.
- Click Start.
- Select All Programs.
- Select QuickBooks.
- Select Web Connector.
- Click Add an application in the QuickBooks Web Connector window.
- Browse and select the .QWC file that was downloaded from Vtiger CRM in the Select a .QWC file window.
- Click OK in the Authorize New Web Service popup window.
- Select the last option: ‘Yes, always; allow access even if QuickBooks is not running’ in the QuickBooks – Application Certificate window.
- Click Continue.
- Click Done in the Access Confirmation window.
Now, review the Vtiger CRM application that was added to the Web Connector, and provide the password you’ve chosen earlier.
Now that the application is added to QuickBooks Web Connector, you are all set to sync data between Vtiger and QuickBooks Desktop.
But how do you know if the sync process was successful? You can check if the sync process was a success by viewing the sync log in the Web Connector.
- Viewing the sync log
- Click on the View Log button at the top right corner of the screen. This will help you find if the sync worked and the data was transferred successfully. If a sync process fails, the log displays the errors using which you can correct the configuration and run the sync again.
- For example, if a sync process failed since authentication was not carried out properly, then view the log to see if the configuration was carried out correctly.
- Downloading the sync log
- The log is displayed in Notepad. You can download and save the log on your system for reference purposes.
- Clearing the current log, click on the Clear Log button.
- Always remember to clear the current log whenever you run fresh sync.
Synchronization Between Vtiger CRM and QuickBooks
Vtiger CRM integration with QuickBooks Desktop helps you sync data between Contacts, Products, Services, and the Invoices modules.
So what does this involve? Syncing is a simple process. Field mapping occurs when you select the modules you want to sync and choose the sync direction. You hit the sync button to update the data and you are ready to go.
During the sync process, data from the following modules are updated:
During the data synchronization process, field mapping ensures that important information is transferred mutually between Vtiger CRM and QuickBooks. Peruse these tables below. They list the data that is synced between Vtiger and QuickBooks for each module.
Synchronization of Contacts
Synchronization of Products and Services
Synchronization of Invoices
Selecting Modules and Sync Direction
Vtiger CRM provides you with the option of syncing your CRM data with QuickBooks in three ways:
- From Vtiger to QuickBooks
- From QuickBooks to Vtiger
- Sync both ways
Selecting modules to sync
Vtiger CRM gives you the ability to sync only desired modules and configure the direction of the sync.
Follow these steps to initiate the sync process:
- Log in to your CRM account
- Click QuickBooks from the Inventory app
- Click on Sync Settings
- Click on the corresponding check-boxes to select desired modules
- Select the direction of sync
- Sync QuickBooks data with Vtiger
- Sync Vtiger data With QuickBooks
- Sync both ways
- Click Save Settings
- Open your QuickBooks Web Connector, click on the check-box on the left side of the Vtiger Application that was added earlier
- Click Update Selected
The selected modules will be updated.
Here are few prerequisites for the sync to work.
Before syncing data between Vtiger and QuickBooks, you’ll need to enable the following:
- Enable Sales Tax in Vtiger. Click icon > CRM Settings > Other Settings > Tax Calculations > enable Sales tax under Product & Service Taxes
- Enable inventory in QuickBooks. Click Edit > Preferences > Items & Inventory > Company Preferences > Click the checkbox Inventory and Purchase orders are active > Click OK.
- Create an account of type Income in Quickbooks with the name Vtiger Account. Click Lists > Chart of Accounts > Right Click your Mouse > New > Select type Income > Continue > Provide Vtiger Account > Save and Close. Products and Services created in QuickBooks from Vtiger will be linked to this account.
- Enable Sales Tax in QuickBooks. Click Edit > Preferences > Sales Tax > Company Preferences > Click on the radio button Yes > Click Add sales tax item > Select Sales Tax Item > Provide desired Sales Tax Name and Tax Rate > Click OK.
After the sync happens, some things may appear different on your screen. Read the following and you will know what they are!
Vtiger to QuickBooks
- QuickBooks accept only a certain number of characters for some fields. If you exceed the limit, the field values are truncated. This persists when you sync UTF-8 characters.
- Products from Vtiger will be synced as items of type Inventory Part in QuickBooks.
- Services from Vtiger will be synced as items of type Service in QuickBooks.
- While syncing invoices from Vtiger to QuickBooks, you will be adding line items in your QuickBooks account.
- Vtiger Invoice Tax: Taxes from Vtiger will be linked to this line item.
- Vtiger Discount Amount: Discounts from Invoices in Vtiger are calculated as a single discount amount and mapped to this line item.
- Vtiger Adjustment Add: Adjustments like add from Invoices in Vtiger will be linked to this line item.
- Vtiger Adjustment Deduct: Adjustments like deductions from invoices in Vtiger will be linked to this line item.
- Vtiger Shipping Charges: Shipping charges provided in Vtiger will be mapped to this line item.
- Vtiger Shipping Taxes: Shipping taxes from Vtiger will be mapped to this line item.
- Make sure you do not sync QuickBooks’ invoices that have both Vtiger Adjustment Add and Vtiger Adjustment Deduct line items.
- On sync, Vtiger Contact Number will be appended to Vtiger Contact Name in Quickbooks. For example, Jessie Stokes CON123.
- Deleting a record: If you delete a record in the CRM after sync, you won’t be able to update the record from QuickBooks to Vtiger. So do not delete a record unless you really want to.
QuickBooks to Vtiger
- Items of the type Inventory Part and Non- inventory Part will be synced as Products in Vtiger.
- Items of the type Service and Other Charge types in QuickBooks will be added as services in Vtiger.
- Other types of items in QuickBooks are not synced with Vtiger. For example, Group, Sub Total, Payment, etc.