Follow these steps to import records into Vtiger CRM:Step 1: Go to the Import screen
1. Click on the Menu
2. Click the Tools
2. Select Import
3. Click +New Import
.Step 2: Select a file to import
1. Enter a title for the import process.
2. Select Contacts
in the drop-down.
3. Select the format of the file you want to import and the Header.
Note: Headers are column names in your local file. They make mapping column values to CRM fields easy.
4. Choose a Character Encoding
Note: Make sure the Character Encoding matches that selected in the local file.
5. Choose a delimiter.
Note: Delimiter is the character that separates fields in your local file. The CRM identifies different fields with the help of the delimiter.
6. Select a file to import by browsing through your computer.
Note: Vtiger CRM supports .csv, .vcf, and .ics file types for importing.
- .CSV (Comma-Separated Values) files are used to import records into any CRM module.
- .VCF (Virtual Contact File) files are used to import only contacts.
- .ICS (iCalendar File) files are used to import only calendar data such as events and tasks.
7. Click Next
.Step 3: Set up field mapping
Use this step to map fields in your local file to the fields in Vtiger CRM. Fields that have the same names in the local file and CRM are mapped automatically.
1. Map Column Name in your local file to CRM Field in the CRM.
2. Provide a Default Value
Note: Default values are used when the value of a field is empty. In such cases, Vtiger CRM picks up the field’s default value.
3. Click Next
.Step 4: Set up Duplicate Handling
What will you do if a record that you are importing is already present in the CRM? Vtiger’s Duplicate Handling feature will sort it out for you. You can begin by checking if there are duplicate records.
1. Check for Duplicates.
a. Select Check Duplicates if you want to check for duplicate records while importing.
b. Select the field name that will decide whether a record is a duplicate.
i. Select Add New Records if you want to create new or unique records in the CRM. If there are duplicate records in your local file, they will not be imported.
ii. Select Add New Records and Update Existing Records if you want to create new or unique records in the CRM. If there are duplicate records in your local file, then the CRM records will be updated with the field values specified in the duplicate records.
2. Do not Check for Duplicates.
By selecting this option, you can create new records in the CRM without checking for duplicates.
3. Click Next
4. Review the field mapping by looking at the preview (Preview displays a maximum of three records).
5. Click Start Import
Note: You won’t be able to see the Duplicate Handling step when importing records into Inventory or Users.