Articles in this section
Finding Duplicate Records
Table of Contents
What are Duplicate Records
Duplicate records in a module are those that have the same name and information as one or more records in the same module.
Find Duplicates helps you identify duplicate records in a module. By eliminating duplicate records, you can eliminate duplicate information as well as save space.
Identifying Duplicate Records
Follow these steps to identify duplicate records:
- Log in to your CRM account.
- Click the Main Menu.
- Go to Tools.
- Select Find Duplicates.
- Choose the module where you want to search for duplicate records from the Select Module drop-down.
- Select the list under which you want to search for duplicates from the Select List drop-down.
- Enable Ignore empty values to avoid searching for duplicates on empty field names.
- Enable Check closed records also for duplicates to include records in closed states in the duplicate search.
- Click Search.
The list of duplicate records is shown on the screen.
- Select one or more duplicate records to delete them by clicking Delete
- Select at least two duplicate records to merge them into one by clicking Merge
Settings: Duplicate Prevention
While Find Duplicates allows you to identify existing duplicate records, the Duplicate Prevention setting prevents the creation of duplicate records.
By setting up a duplicate prevention check, you can prevent users and external applications from creating duplicate records in a module.
Follow these steps to set up duplicate prevention for a module:
- Log in to your CRM account.
- Click the User Menu on the top-right corner of the CRM screen.
- Click Settings.
- Select Module Layouts & Fields under Module Management.
- Select the module on which you want to set up duplicate prevention from the Select Module drop-down.
- Click the Duplicate Prevention tab.
- Turn on the toggle button under Enable duplicate check.
- Select the fields (maximum three) based on which you want to run the duplicate check. For example, if you select Deal Name, users will not be able to create a new deal with the same name as an existing deal.
- Enable either of the following settings:
- Consider as duplicate only if all of the unique fields match - A record is considered duplicate if all the fields defined in the previous step match
- Consider as duplicate if at least one of the unique fields match - A record is considered duplicate if at least one field defined in the previous step matches
- Enable Check closed records also for duplicates to run the duplicate check on closed records. Disable it to ignore closed records while checking for duplicates.
- Enable Ignore blank values to avoid searching for duplicates on empty field names. Disable it otherwise.
- Choose an action to take if a duplicate record is found while syncing with an external application.
- Prefer latest record - Most recently modified record will be retained
- Prefer internal record -Record existing in the CRM will be retained
- Prefer external record - Record in the external application will be copied and retained
- Click Save.
To learn more about duplicate prevention, click here.