Articles in this section
Set up Mailroom
Table of Contents
Mailroom automates actions on your incoming Emails.
Whether you want to create a Case from email or create a Lead or Opportunity from email or just simply attach the email to the Contact record, Mailroom does it all. Just forward your emails to Vtiger’s Mailroom and let it do the rest.
Click the icon to watch the video
Unlimited virtual addresses
Mailroom makes sorting emails easier through virtual email addresses to which you can forward emails to. To create a virtual email address, add ‘+’ to the username and add a suffix (ex: ‘+support’). With this feature, it is easy to set up actions.
For example, to create a case, you just need to forward an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and set up an action.
Mailbox for each record
Mailroom enables separate mailbox for each record in the CRM. For example, to attach emails to record id #345, send an email to email@example.com.
This feature is available for Contacts, Leads, Organizations, Cases & Opportunities.
How does Mailroom work?
Every business using Vtiger gets its own Mailroom address to which emails can be forwarded.
For example, Grasspods might be assigned an address like firstname.lastname@example.org (we will refer to the name before @ as the “handle” in the course of this documentation).
In Mailroom panel, Administrator can configure actions to be performed on incoming emails.
When an email is forwarded to Mailroom, Mailroom will pick it up (within 2 minutes) and performs the actions configured in Mailroom page.
This section contains notes to help you get started with Vtiger CRM Mailroom.
Activate your Mailroom
Follow these simple steps to configure your Mailroom.
- Click on the User Menu icon on the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on Settings.
- Click Mailroom under Automation.
Click on Open Mailroom button.
Click on See your forwarded emails or See Default Actions button to proceed. This will redirect you to the main page of Mailroom, where you can view your Emails and Actions.
How to setup auto-forwarding?
The steps to auto-forward your emails might vary from email service to email service.
For instance, to auto-forward emails from Gmail account to Mailroom, go to Settings in Gmail and click on the Forwarding and POP/Imap. Click on Add a forwarding address button. In the pop-up, add your Mailroom address and click Next. You will be receiving an email with a verification code to your Mailroom. You can access it by clicking on See your forwarded emails button or Show Emails button. Enter the code in the verification field and click on Verify button.
Once verification is done, the incoming emails will be sent to your Vtiger Mailroom.
You can even find the steps to set up auto-forwarding from Hotmail, Yahoo, Yandex, and Outlook in Vtiger under the See how can you set up auto-forwarding section. Click on the link to view the procedure.
Click here to learn how to auto-forward emails for individual and group accounts.
Default actions - Create Lead, Case & more
Mailroom comes with following default actions for common use cases.
- To archive emails, just forward email to email@example.com
- To create/update case, just forward email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- To create lead, just forward email to email@example.com
- To create opportunity, just forward email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- To create contact, just forward email to email@example.com
- To create organization, just forward email to firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I add new Actions?
To add a new action, click on Add New Action button on top right.
In the Criteria section, add conditions if you desire. In the Actions section, choose an Action to be performed.
- Create/Update Cases: A Case will be created when a new email is received from your contact. If your contact replies to a previous case notification, then the existing case will be updated. Learn more.
- Create Opportunities: An Opportunity will be created if a new email is received from your contact. If you send email from an Opportunity record and your contact replies to that email, then the Email will be attached to the existing Opportunity.
- Archive Email: This action will be attaching the email record to existing Contact/Lead/Organization/Opportunity/Cases if From email matches with the primary email of a record. In some cases, if From email is not found in any of the records, it will search for To email address and attach the email to it.
Archive email action in the mailroom link emails to contact’s open opportunity along with the contact.
If a contact has more than one open opportunity, then the email gets archived to the first open opportunity in the related tab of the Contact.
1. If no matching Contact/Lead/Organization is found in From or To email addresses, the email will be skipped.
2. Mailroom can perform only one action at a time. If there are “n” no of actions, it will validate the conditions set and triggers the first matched action.
For example: If you have set up an action, say, “Any email coming to email@example.com should create contact (positioned #1)” and another action as “Any email coming to firstname.lastname@example.org should create a case(positioned #6), then action 1 i.e., Create Contact will be triggered, as the Mailroom matches this action, first.
- Create Lead: Lead will be created only if the mail is from new Sender. If the same sender sends a new email then that email will be attached to the existing Lead record.
Note! You can use Body Rule to create new Lead records for emails coming from the same Sender.
Create Contact & Create Organization: act similar to Create Lead.
Create Other Record: Create a record in any entity module in Vtiger using Mailroom with the details of the email body.
Lastly, click on Save button.
When should I use Body Rule?
If your email body contains values that need to be extracted and populated in different fields of a record, then you can use Body Rule.
For Example, you might receive Leads from an Agency via email. In such cases, the sender of the email is always the agency, but each email has information on a new Lead. With Body Rule, you can extract values from the Email body, and create a new Lead record for each email.
Enable Autofill values from Email body to configure body rule. If you have sample text of an email that has the values, you can copy and paste that into Sample body Text to let Vtiger pickup fields from the Body and allow you to map them to fields in the record.
Map a lookup field’s duplicate handling fields in the mailroom’s body rule.
In the following sample email body, the delimiter is a colon “:”
Company name: Applibase
Contact first name: John
Contact last name: Smith
Job title: President & CEO
Best Phone: 213-344-4234
Type Phone: Cell
Address: P.O. Box 54545
City: Newport Beach
Note! Mailroom supports attachments to a record with a maximum of 10MB data.
How can I see the emails sent to Mailroom?
To see the emails sent to Mailroom, click on the Show Emails button present on a top right corner of a Mailroom page. You will be redirected to Mailroom emails page.
Admins are restricted from accessing confidential emails in the Mailroom to maintain privacy.