Articles in this section
Set up Mailroom
Table of Contents
Click the icon to watch the video
Vtiger Mailroom feature lets you receive emails from email service providers such as Outlook, Gmail, etc.
Using the Mailroom, you can:
- Receive and view emails from multiple email service providers.
- Automate actions on your incoming emails like creating a Case, Contact, Lead, etc.
Whether you want to create a Case or a Contact from an email, or just simply attach the email to the Contact record, Mailroom does it all. Just forward your emails to Vtiger’s Mailroom and let it do the rest.
Unlimited virtual addresses
Mailroom makes sorting emails easier through virtual email addresses to which you can forward emails to. To create a virtual email address, add ‘+’ to the username and add a suffix (For example: ‘+support’). With this feature, it is easy to set up actions. For example, to create a case, you just need to forward an email to email@example.com and set up an action.
Mailbox for each record
Mailroom enables separate mailbox for each record in the CRM. For example, to attach emails to record id #345, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This feature is available for Contacts, Leads, Organizations, Cases & Opportunities.
How does Mailroom work?
Every business using Vtiger gets its own Mailroom address to which emails can be forwarded.
For example, Grasspods might be assigned an address like email@example.com (we will refer to the name before @ as the “handle” in the course of this documentation).
In the Mailroom panel, the Administrator can configure actions to be performed on incoming emails.
When an email is forwarded to Mailroom, the Mailroom will pick it up (within 2 minutes) and perform the actions configured on the Mailroom page.
This section contains notes to help you get started with Vtiger CRM Mailroom.
Activate your Mailroom
Follow these simple steps to configure your Mailroom.
- Click on the User Menu icon on the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on Settings.
- Click Mailroom under Automation.
Click on Open Mailroom button.
Click on See your forwarded emails or See Default Actions button to proceed. This will redirect you to the main page of Mailroom, where you can view your Emails and Actions.
How to setup auto-forwarding?
The steps to auto-forward your emails might vary from email service to email service.
For instance, to auto-forward emails from your Gmail account to Mailroom, go to Settings in Gmail and click on Forwarding and POP/Imap. Click on the Add a forwarding address button. In the pop-up, add your Mailroom address and click Next. You will be receiving an email with a verification code in your Mailroom.
You can access it by clicking on the See your forwarded emails button or the Show Emails button. Enter the code in the verification field and click on the Verify button.
Once verification is done, the incoming emails will be sent to your Vtiger Mailroom.
You can even find the steps to set up auto-forwarding from Hotmail, Yahoo, Yandex, and Outlook in Vtiger under the See how can you set up auto-forwarding section. Click on the link to view the procedure.
Click here to learn how to auto-forward emails for individual and group accounts.
Default actions - Create Lead, Case & more
Mailroom comes with the following default actions for common use cases.
- To archive emails, just forward the email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- To create/update the case, just forward the email to email@example.com
- To create a lead, just forward the email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- To create a deal, just forward the email to email@example.com
- To create contact, just forward the email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- To create an organization, just forward the email to email@example.com
How do I add new Actions?
To add a new action, click on the Add New Action button on the top right.
In the Criteria section, add conditions if you desire. In the Actions section, choose an Action to be performed.
- Create/Update Cases: A Case will be created when a new email is received from your contact. If your contact replies to a previous case notification, then the existing case will be updated. Learn more.
- Create Opportunities: An Opportunity will be created if a new email is received from your contact. If you send an email from an Opportunity record and your contact replies to that email, then the Email will be attached to the existing Opportunity.
- Archive Email: This action will be attaching the email record to existing Contact/Lead/Organization/Opportunity/Cases if From email matches with the primary email of a record. In some cases, if From email is not found in any of the records, it will search for To email address and attach the email to it.
Archive email action in the mailroom link emails to contact’s open opportunity along with the contact.
If a contact has more than one open opportunity, then the email gets archived to the first open opportunity in the related tab of the Contact.
1. If no matching Contact/Lead/Organization is found in From or To email addresses, the email will be skipped.
2. Mailroom can perform only one action at a time. If there are “n” no of actions, it will validate the conditions set and triggers the first matched action.
For example: If you have set up an action, say, “Any email coming to firstname.lastname@example.org should create contact (positioned #1)” and another action as “Any email coming to email@example.com should create a case(positioned #6), then action 1 i.e., Create Contact will be triggered, as the Mailroom matches this action, first.
- Create Lead: Lead will be created only if the mail is from a new Sender. If the same sender sends a new email then that email will be attached to the existing Lead record. Note! You can use Body Rule to create new Lead records for emails coming from the same Sender.
Create Contact & Create Organization: act similarly to Create Lead.
Create Other Record: Create a record in any entity module in Vtiger using Mailroom with the details of the email body.
Lastly, click on the Save button.
When should I use Body Rule?
If your email body contains values that need to be extracted and populated in different fields of a record, then you can use the Body Rule. For Example, you might receive Leads from an Agency via email. In such cases, the sender of the email is always the agency, but each email has information on a new Lead. With Body Rule, you can extract values from the Email body, and create a new Lead record for each email.
Enable Autofill values from the Email body to configure the body rule. If you have sample text of an email that has the values, you can copy and paste that into Sample body Text to let Vtiger pick up fields from the Body and allow you to map them to fields in the record.
Map a lookup field’s duplicate handling fields in the mailroom’s body rule.
In the following sample email body, the delimiter is a colon “:”
Company name: Applibase
Contact first name: John
Contact last name: Smith
Job title: President & CEO
Best Phone: 213-344-4234
Type Phone: Cell
Address: P.O. Box 54545
City: Newport Beach
Note! Mailroom supports attachments to a record with a maximum of 10MB data.
How can I see the emails sent to Mailroom?
To see the emails sent to Mailroom, click on the Show Emails button present on the top right corner of a Mailroom page. You will be redirected to the Mailroom emails page.
Admins are restricted from accessing confidential emails in the Mailroom to maintain privacy.