Setting up the Update Fields Action
The Update Fields workflow action is used to update the fields in a record when the entry criteria are met.
For a workflow to execute actions, it must be active and triggered, and the entry criteria must be met. To learn about these workflow components, click here.
Let us take the example of calculating the weighted revenue of a deal from the deal amount.
This workflow calculates and updates the weighted revenue of a deal every time the deal amount is updated and saved.
To learn more about deals, click here.
Accessing the workflow page:
- Click the User Menu on the top right corner of the screen.
- Click the Settings button.
- Look for the Automation section.
- Select Workflows.
- Click the +New Workflow button.
- Select Standard.
Entering the basic information:
- Select the Target Module as Deals.
- Enter workflow name, status, etc.
Select the workflow trigger:
- Select this Workflow Trigger - Deal updated (Includes Creation).
- Choose Every time conditions are met from Recurrence.
Tip: No specific entry criterion is required in this workflow.
Set up the action:
- Click the Add Action drop-down.
- Select Update Fields.
- Enter the Action Title.
- Click the +Add Record Field button.
- This opens a small window.
Set the field values: This is where you must choose the destination and source fields.
- The Destination field is the field that must be updated.
- The Source field is the field that must be used to update the destination field.
- Choose Weighted Revenue from the Select Field drop-down. Weighted Revenue is the destination field.
- Click inside the space provided on the right side.
- This opens a pop-up window. You must enter the source field here.
- Select Expression from the drop-down.
- This allows you to enter the expression to calculate the weighted revenue.
- Click on the Use Field drop-down and select Amount and Probability.
- This drop-down allows you to select fields from the CRM records to use them in calculations.
- Form this expression using the symbols on your keyboard - Amount * Probability / 100.
- Click Save to save the expression.
- This closes the pop-up window.
- Click Save to save the workflow action.
- This closes the window opened in Step 14.
- Click Save to save the workflow.
Different types of source fields
When you click the +Add Record Field button in Step 14, a drop-down with the following three options is displayed:
- Raw text: You must manually enter the value the destination field must take.
- Field: When you select this option, you choose a field from where the value must be copied to the destination field.
- Expression: This option lets you use fields to form an arithmetic expression, the value of which will be updated in the destination field. You can also use ready-made functions from the Use Functions drop-down.
- After selecting the function, you must enter field names in the function placeholders from the Use Field drop-down. For example, concat(first name, last name) is a function that connects the first and last names.